Crescent City Sucks

even on a good day...

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Holy Tsunami!

Yesterday we had a bit of excitement in the form of a mild earthquake followed by a Tsunami warning. I was at the Surfside Brewery with a friend when the earthquake hit, a gentle shaker that rocked the building for about five seconds. Having lived in and around California for my entire life, I've been through other earthquakes and have gotten used to them. Just a reminder that there's bigger things going on, I guess. I had the remote to the T.V. set above the bar and quickly scanned the local channels for E.B.S. info, tsunami warnings, etc. and there was NOTHING. I thought this was strange...it was obviously a big earthquake, but no warnings, no news flashes, no sirens. Thirty minutes later the police told everyone to leave. "GO TO HIGHERGROUND!!!" THIRTY minutes! The "tsunami" had already hit! The local police, however, continued with a panic-inciting "evacuation" that caused more psychic truama than any earthquake generated wave. My friend and I drove to a bluff(Brother Johnathon Point) and waited for something to happen. I was secretly hoping for a city-ending wave, which never arrived. People freaked out and drove like idiots, clogged evacuation routes, and got in traffic accidents for nothing! Basically, if there had been a wave big enough to cause damage, the only real warning was the earthquake itself. The wave would have hit and no one would have known - the police, the whole warning system failed in accomplishing anything but scaring and panicing alot of people.

3 Comments:

At 6/16/2005 07:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly, Friend. We're talking at work today about how NOW is the time for an educational media campaign. Materials already exist and are available around town which explain when you should immediatly head for higher ground, because you don't have time to wait for the authorities. I wish the Triplicate would stop patting OES on the back for doing such a super job of evacuating the lowlands and run a piece instead on earthquake and tsunami education and preparedness! Letter to the editor here I come!

 
At 6/17/2005 03:37:00 AM, Blogger Ed said...

I always enjoy a little natural disaster now and then. I remember being down at Pier 5 in CC the day after a similar earthquake in 1980...the waves were big and it was very exciting. I think we were hoping for a disaster at the time. Still waiting, looking forward to death.

 
At 6/17/2005 09:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I publish this blog because belittling and hurting other people makes me feel better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home