Crescent City Sucks

even on a good day...

Sunday, June 12, 2005

great moments at work, pt.1: people who think they know you

I'm at the cash register, co-worker is outside smoking. Enter one on-again, off-again girlfriend of one slightly crazy older brother. Said girlfriend has a readily apparent drug problem, drinking problem, and personality disorder. She steps up to the penny candy counter, drunk and high enough that standing in close proximity would cause you to fail a drug test.
"Hey, I know you", she says with one hand in the tootsie roll bucket, the other hand full of coins. I'm busy ringing someone's purchases up, so I don't immediately respond.
"I'm not a thief! I pay for my shit", she murmurs nervously. "Yeah, I know who you are..."
I glance over and nod. "Ok, just leave your money on the counter there." This is common practice at the store. Some people take longer to deal with than others, and in such situations you send them over to the secondary counterspace. The penny candy area works wonders when you need to stall someone, or just give them their own little space to babble, fumble with change, or ooze fluids.
She senses that I'm brushing her off. Quickly, she's on the offensive.
"You know what your problem is? You're a --------(my last name). Yeah, you're all the same." Blah blah blah.
I come from a large family, six sisters and two brothers. In a small town, this means one in every four people probably knows you or someone in your family, or at least has heard of someone in your family. You can never escape this. You are always judged in some respect with the collective reputation of the family in mind. Sometimes people mistake you for a family member you vaguely resemble, and sometimes you magically transform into this person.
When you're in my family, everyone's got your number.

2 Comments:

At 6/12/2005 05:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anne Arkham said...

I hear ya.

I am preceded by my (brain-injured) sister's reputation. People who meet me through her have no idea what to expect.

 
At 6/13/2005 01:38:00 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Another typical Mcnik. I used to want to be one - that's why I tried to grow up at yer house. hom sweat hom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home