Crescent City Sucks

even on a good day...

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Can Blogging Be Libelous?

At work today my supervisor came in on her own time to have a chat with me. She usually opens the store and is gone by the time I arrive.
"Michael, could we have a chat in the office?"
I'm thinking the till was off or something and she wanted to ask me about it. At the worst.
"Have you been writing about us on the internet?"
It was the last thing I expected her to ask. How the fuck did she find out? I'm not a good liar, so I spill the beans.
"Well, yeah I have. But I didn't use anyone's names and it's all just harmless ancedotes..."
"The Owner is old school and he doesn't want you writing about his store. Okay?"
I'm a coward. She hasn't threatened me with termination. She also hasn't said I can't write about the customers which are what really interest me anyway. But I have a feeling that if I continue posting stories about my workday and the people that populate it, I could lose my job. Until I do some research about the legalities of what I write being somehow illegal and me getting sued or fired over it, I'm going to stop writing about the store. If any of you reading are bloggers and know anything about this kind of stuff, HELP! I could use some advice. I wanted to quit but I thought that it would be melodramatic and premature.

3 Comments:

At 5/07/2005 10:48:00 PM, Anonymous anne said...

My thought is DON'T STOP. Of course, I'm not the one paying your bills. But I think that 50 years from now, your blog is going to have played a more important role in your life than the liquor store cashier job.

Also, Heather at www.dooce.com was fired for blogging. It makes for a very funny read.

 
At 5/11/2005 01:47:00 AM, Blogger Darius said...

I agree, don't stop. I've been blogging for years, way before my job, and I don't think I would give it up entirely to save my job.

 
At 5/16/2005 07:19:00 PM, Anonymous Big Poppa said...

Michael,
Bukowski ran into a similar problem when he would write about the post office in his "Notes of a Dirty Old Man." He was threatened with termination if he failed to stop writing about his job. He returned the threat by saying something like, "I hope you realize you're threatening my first ammendment rights, and the ACLU would be pretty interested in a government agency firing someone for that reason." In other words...don't take any guff from those swine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home